Another element to look at is your company’s travel policy and support around this for your staff, supplies and clients. Promoting alternative and sustainable travel options for your business can dramatically reduce your business emissions and costs relating to travel, reduces the impact on the environment but also supports a healthy living style, encouraging people to engage and are more likely to comply with.
Business travel can be multifaceted and complex within an organisation depending on the size and travel necessities of the business. Having a travel plan or travel policy in place creates a social and environmentally responsible ethic. Here are some things to consider for your company.
- Encourage walking, cycling, or taking public transport.
- Consider promoting car sharing within the workplace and have a system in place to support this.
- If your business owns vehicles, whether it is for deliveries or business travel consider switching to electric vehicles.
- Adopt a “travel only when you need to” ethic and if not avoidable encourage routes that are shorter using less fuel.
- Raise awareness and keep your audience informed of their impact on the environment – get them thinking about their individual carbon footprints
- Develop a travel plan or policy which will support your aims in becoming a sustainable and carbon neutral business.
You can read more on developing your own business travel plan which will help you build a tailored policy for your company.
Having such a policy in place comes with many benefits to your business and employees, helping you meet your sustainability goals.